Three informational public open houses with question and answer sessions have been scheduled for citizens to learn about the five potential sites for the new Utah State Correctional Facility. Events will be held in Salt Lake, Tooele, and Utah counties.
Sponsored by the Prison Relocation Commission (PRC), each event will start with an open house session at which attendees can browse informational displays and talk with staff members from the PRC, the Utah Department of Corrections, the Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice, and the PRC’s consulting team.
A moderated question-and-answer session will also be held immediately following each open house to allow attendees an opportunity to ask questions, hear their neighbor’s questions and concerns, and receive answers to those questions. Attendees will be asked to submit their questions before and during the Q&A session. Questions will be answered by a panel, which will include experts from the organizations identified above.
“We are committed to making this decision-making process as transparent as possible and encouraging meaningful public participation,” says Rep. Brad Wilson, co-chair of the PRC. “We want to take this opportunity to both educate the public and get their feedback about the new prison and where it will be located.”
The open house displays will be available throughout the 4:00 to 9:00 p.m. time period. The Q&A sessions at each event will be held from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. Event dates and locations are:
Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 4:00 – 9:00 p.m. Promontory Building, Utah State Fairpark, 155 N.1000 West, Salt Lake City, UT 84116
Thursday, May 28, 2015, 4:00 – 9:00 p.m. Grantsville High School, 155 E. Cherry Street, Grantsville, UT 84029
Tuesday, June 2, 2015, 4:00 – 9:00 p.m. Frontier Middle School, 1427 Mid Valley Road, Eagle Mountain, UT 84005
The PRC also intends to hold a formal public hearing regarding finalist sites. The five finalist sites being considered by the PRC as the new location for the Utah State Correctional Facility are:
- I-80 / 7200 West in Salt Lake County– Site is located west of the Salt Lake City International Airport.
- SR 112/Depot Boundary Road in Tooele County– Site is located near the Miller Motor Sports Park between the cities of Tooele and Grantsville.
- Lake Mountains West in Utah County – Site is located at the southernmost part of Eagle Mountain City.
- Cedar Valley South in Utah County– Site is located southwest of Eagle Mountain City at the southern end of the town of Fairfield along SR 73.
- SR 138 Industrial Site in Tooele County– Site is located near the Walmart Distribution Center on the west side of SR 138 in Grantsville.
For more information about the Prison Relocation Commission, please visit the PRC’s website at le.utah.gov/prc.