Health and Human Services Interim Committee
Rep. Kay L. McIff (R), Chair
Sen. Evan J. Vickers (R), Chair
Rep. Stewart Barlow (R)
Rep. Melvin R. Brown (R)
Rep. Rebecca Chavez-Houck (D)
Rep. Craig Hall (R)
Rep. Timothy D. Hawkes (R)
Rep. Sandra Hollins (D)
Rep. Paul Ray (R)
Rep. Edward H. Redd (R)
Rep. Robert M. Spendlove (R)
Rep. Norman K. Thurston (R)
Rep. Raymond P. Ward (R)
Sen. Allen M. Christensen (R)
Sen. Luz Escamilla (D)
Sen. Mark B. Madsen (R)
Sen. Brian E. Shiozawa (R)
- Opioid Misuse and Abuse – Studying the underlying causes of the problem and considering steps the Legislature might take to either enable or motivate patients, prescribers, dispensers, state regulators, community organizations, and others to take additional action to stem the epidemic.
- Medical Marijuana – Review and make recommendations regarding any draft legislation that is essentially ready for introduction during the 2017 General Session.
- Access to Health Care – Examine the adequacy, distribution, and use of Utah’s medical workforce, including the staffing of rural and urban health care clinics, the use of mid‐ level providers, whether the number of residencies for family practice doctors should be increased, and whether there is any way to reduce the disparity in compensation between primary care providers and specialists.
- Intergenerational Poverty ‐ Consider related issues within the purview of the committee, particularly the availability of health care, mental health services, and treatment services for substance use disorders.
- End of Life Options – Consider issues related to end‐of‐life legislation debated during the past two sessions of the Legislature.
- Other Issues – Conduct sunset reviews that fall within the committee’s purview, receive and evaluate the necessity of statutorily required reports, and act on a January request by the Administrative Rules Review Committee to consider the Department of Health’s process for modifying the Utah Medicaid Provider Manual.
Click here to see upcoming agendas, stream live meetings and to listen to past discussions.