Overview of the Day:
Happy International Women’s Day! Today is also the forty-fourth day of the 2017 Legislative Session. The prayer was offered by Rep. Brian King and the pledge was led by Rep. King’s intern, Ben Berger.
In other exciting news, have you heard of the exclusive Failed Bills Club? When a representative’s bill does not pass the House or the Senate, it is tradition for Rep. Jeremy Peterson to deliver a Symphony chocolate bar to their desk to express his sympathies. This act of kindness on the House floor makes a bitter moment, bittersweet instead.
Signs we’re in the last week of the session:
– Courtesy of Rep. Becky Edwards
1. You’re wearing out the carpet between the House and the Senate checking on your bills.
2. You’ve mapped out the desks of all your colleagues on the House floor in order of who has the best treats.
3. The bills are getting longer, longest weighing in at 202 pages is SB 8, State Agency Fees and Internal Service Fund Rate Authorization and Appropriations.
4. The jokes are getting worse (when I concurred with the Senate changes to my Spiral Jetty bill a voice arose across the House floor that said, “Return of the Jetty!” aka Return of the Jedi, get it?)
5. Family Night at the Capitol was packed and since we were on the floor until 11:30 tonight they got to watch us in action on the floor.
6. One of your bills passes 38-37. Closest margin of the night.
7. You’ve cleaned out all the chocolate almonds on your colleagues desk.
8. The last of your bills makes it off the House floor.
9. You’re at the Capitol for 17 hours straight!
10. You’ve reached a new high in your email folder….1207!
Meet a New Representative: Val Potter
Rep. Val Potter now represents District 3 in Cache County. Rep. Potter has served as a mayor and council member in North Logan City, and as a Cache County Council member for the past 6 years. He is married with three kids and six grandkids. Rep. Potter has been a wonderful addition to the Utah House of Representatives this year.
Tweets of the Day
— UT Political Capitol (@utpolcapitol) March 8, 2017
— Benjamin Wood (@BjaminWood) March 8, 2017
— Karen Kwan (@RepKarenKwan) March 8, 2017
— Lowry Snow (@lowrysnow) March 8, 2017
Tomorrow’s Legislative Schedule
12:00 AM: SESSION ADJOURNS SINE DIE